Skip to main content

The Bracelet That Talked Back

A potter knows she must listen to the clay and respect what it wants to do. A painter breathes in the fumes of the linseed oil and allows the images in her head to flow down her arm and out through the brush onto the canvas. I have discovered the same is true when working with beads and wire. You must respect the tools of your art, no matter what the medium is.

When I was inspired by the magic and beauty of the Red-Tailed Hawk, I started creating a bracelet in his honor. My first attempt never felt right, and I realized I was being too literal in my use of color.

The second try looked better but broke when I strung the last bead. In fact, it broke the second time, as well. At that point, I was so frustrated, I gathered up the beads and put them in an envelope and out of sight for two weeks.

While contemplating my dilemma (really I was just pouting), I realized the feather charm was wrong — too big. Perhaps I was still being too literal and it didn’t need a feather charm.

Yesterday I finished the hawk bracelet. As Mr. Cardwell, my college design professor, would say, “It works."

This bracelet and earring set will be for sale in my online store. If you would like to buy it now, please leave a note in the comment box:-) The cost for the set is $40 + tax.


Susan said…
Looks like I am going to spend a lot of money with you...just like I do with Elisa. I really like the bracelet.

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Cornell’s Boxes

Boxes by surrealist artist Joseph Cornell
“Shadow boxes become poetic theaters or settings wherein are metamorphosed the element of a childhood pastime.”
Joseph Cornell was not a sculptor, a draftsman, or a painter. This internationally renowned modern artist never had professional training. He was first and foremost a collector. He loved to scour old book shops and secondhand stores of New York looking for souvenirs, theatrical memorabilia, old prints and photographs, music scores, and French literature. 

Cornell was wary of strangers. This led him to isolate himself and become a self-taught artist. Although he expressed attraction to unattainable women like Lauren Bacall, his shyness made romantic relationships almost impossible. In later life his bashfulness verged toward reclusiveness, and he rarely left the state of New York. However, he preferred talking with women, and often made their husbands wait in the next room when he discussed business with them. He also had numerous friend…

How to Clean Copper After Annealing with a Recipe for Non-Toxic Pickling

This is not your grandmother’s pickling recipe. I’m pickling copper bangle bracelets instead. As you can see by the previous post, I’ve been annealing copper bracelets this week (my first time was Sunday evening). To give you a point of reference, these bangles were dark brown, almost black, when I put them in the pickling solution.

Today I used a recipe for a non-toxic pickle to clean the oxidation from the copper. It was simple: 1 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon table salt. I heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a glass jar and then put it on my husband’s coffee cup warmer. To test it I stuck a piece of annealed 6 gauge wire in it, and it worked beautifully. I only had to brush a little of the black stuff off, and it was bright, shiny copper again. Better yet, the brushing didn’t take a lot of effort.

Feeling very successful I doubled the batch and dropped all six bangles in and left them for about 15 minutes. When I came back the black was flaking off nicely and floating…

Eulogy for a Difficult Mother - what I wish I’d said at my mother’s funeral

I fell in love with my Mother for the first time on the night she died. It was May 20 of this year. Less than two months ago.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t love her before. I believe that all children love their mothers, but all mothers don’t necessarily love their children. My mother was a loving woman, but my sadness is that she loved her husbands more than she loved her children. In spite of that I always loved her. Every day of my life.

Mother had a difficult time living with bipolar disorder in a time when the only treatment was hospitalization and useless counseling, and the medications for it were toxic. It wasn’t until the last decade of her life that everything came together for her, and she was able to live well and with some peace.

On the evening before she died her husband called to say she had not awakened that morning but she was still breathing. Her doctor told us two or three years ago that she would not suffer with renal failure and that she would gradually lose energy,…