Skip to main content

Work From Home and Earn $100,00 a Year!

Colburn loves magazines, so every weekend we go to at least one bookstore. I used to look at books until I got a nook which rocked my reading world.

Now I look at magazines, too. Mostly the jewelry-making ones, of course. But sometimes I look at the business magazines, too. Have you noticed how many are geared toward the person caught in the rat race who dreams of being self-employed?

Well, I got caught up in that dream in 2002 when Daniel H. Pink first published Free Agent Nation. At that time home decor magazines wrote big spreads on building your home office by clearing a corner of your kitchen. Hah! You’ll need more room than that.

In the mid-nineties I learned on the job how to create a website, and in 1999 I took on my first private client. Soon after that, I left my corporate job (with insurance and other benefits) and became a full-time web developer. It was a good supplemental income for the household. Notice I said “supplemental."

I’m not here to say self-employment isn’t a good thing. There are many elements of it that I enjoy very much, i.e. no office politics, freedom to work your own hours, ability to make decisions without getting approval. I’m also not going to encourage any reader or friend to try it themselves. But there are a few things you should know.

This is how I spent my week simply setting up a small, online jewelry store:
  1. A trip to the courthouse to get a dba (assumed name). This is required for opening a business checking account at the bank. The form has to be notarized now, so I had to go back when the notary had returned from her lunch hour.
  2. A trip to the bank to open said account. I did this to protect my personal account from any problems related to online payment processing. Also, it makes my accountant much happier to keep the money separate.
  3. Did I mention the importance of an accountant you can talk to?
  4. A phone call to the State of Texas sales tax office to update my info and research the type of jewelry business I’m in. Necessary for obtaining the correct NAICS code.
  5. Then I spent approx. 20 hours over two days setting up the store using the online tools provided by ArtFire.com. This included payment policies (PayPal, Amazon Payments, and Google Checkout.) I also researched product pricing and shipping costs. Then I wrote the shipping, guarantee and return policies for the business.
  6. Today I drew upon my web skills to register a domain name, set up an email address that forwards to my business Gmail address and made decisions about private registration.
  7. Then I designed my new business cards and sent that info to be printed.
  8. All this work and I didn’t make a single penny. Nor did I create or photograph any of my jewelry. Therefore, there are no products in the store yet.
No help. No advice. No feedback. No encouragement. No one around except Thomas the Gray Tabby Cat and Susie the Queen of All Chihuahuas.

If that sounds attractive to you, you might be crazy enough for a home-based business. Go for it!

Comments

Blogger said…
Find out how 1,000's of people like YOU are making a LIVING online and are fulfilling their dreams TODAY.

Get daily ideas and methods for making $1,000s per day ONLINE for FREE.

GET FREE ACCESS INSTANLY
Blogger said…
Discover how THOUSAND of people like YOU are working for a LIVING from home and are fulfilling their dreams TODAY.

Get daily ideas and methods for making THOUSAND OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME for FREE.

CLICK HERE TO DISCOVER

Popular posts from this blog

How to Clean Copper After Annealing with a Recipe for Non-Toxic Pickling

This is not your grandmother’s pickling recipe. I’m pickling copper bangle bracelets instead. As you can see by the previous post, I’ve been annealing copper bracelets this week (my first time was Sunday evening). To give you a point of reference, these bangles were dark brown, almost black, when I put them in the pickling solution.

Today I used a recipe for a non-toxic pickle to clean the oxidation from the copper. It was simple: 1 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon table salt. I heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a glass jar and then put it on my husband’s coffee cup warmer. To test it I stuck a piece of annealed 6 gauge wire in it, and it worked beautifully. I only had to brush a little of the black stuff off, and it was bright, shiny copper again. Better yet, the brushing didn’t take a lot of effort.

Feeling very successful I doubled the batch and dropped all six bangles in and left them for about 15 minutes. When I came back the black was flaking off nicely and floating…

Joseph Cornell’s Boxes

Boxes by surrealist artist Joseph Cornell
“Shadow boxes become poetic theaters or settings wherein are metamorphosed the element of a childhood pastime.”
Joseph Cornell was not a sculptor, a draftsman, or a painter. This internationally renowned modern artist never had professional training. He was first and foremost a collector. He loved to scour old book shops and secondhand stores of New York looking for souvenirs, theatrical memorabilia, old prints and photographs, music scores, and French literature. 


Cornell was wary of strangers. This led him to isolate himself and become a self-taught artist. Although he expressed attraction to unattainable women like Lauren Bacall, his shyness made romantic relationships almost impossible. In later life his bashfulness verged toward reclusiveness, and he rarely left the state of New York. However, he preferred talking with women, and often made their husbands wait in the next room when he discussed business with them. He also had numerous friend…

Eulogy for a Difficult Mother - what I wish I’d said at my mother’s funeral

I fell in love with my Mother for the first time on the night she died. It was May 20 of this year. Less than two months ago.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t love her before. I believe that all children love their mothers, but all mothers don’t necessarily love their children. My mother was a loving woman, but my sadness is that she loved her husbands more than she loved her children. In spite of that I always loved her. Every day of my life.

Mother had a difficult time living with bipolar disorder in a time when the only treatment was hospitalization and useless counseling, and the medications for it were toxic. It wasn’t until the last decade of her life that everything came together for her, and she was able to live well and with some peace.

On the evening before she died her husband called to say she had not awakened that morning but she was still breathing. Her doctor told us two or three years ago that she would not suffer with renal failure and that she would gradually lose energy,…