Skip to main content

Ten Days of Christmas


My father, Dennis
Dec. 15: Made arrangements for my father to have hospice care provided by Llano Hospice. He has Metastatic Melanoma, Multiple Sclerosis and recurring pneumonia and UTIs from being bedridden.

Later in the afternoon, I ran into my cousin Jim and his wife Bronwen in the parking lot of Hobby Lobby. They live in England, so it was a big surprise.

It was a day of extreme emotions.



Dec. 16: Woke up late (why didn’t the alarm go off?) and discovered it was my SURPRISE WEDDING DAY! Read more about it here.

Dec. 17: Went to Colburn’s office party where the party band was an exceptional high school string group called Revolution Strings. Our first outing as The Newlyweds.


Me and my mother, Jan
Dec. 18: Drove 250 miles to Athens, Texas, for my Mother’s and Dick’s Christmas party. We thought it might be her last Christmas but got the good news that she’s still symptom free (Polycystic Kidney Disease) and could live another 3+ years or so. Saw approximately 20 Red-Tailed Hawks on the drive through West Fort Worth. Our room at The Victorian Inn had a massaging, vibrating bed!


Dec. 19: A quiet drive home that felt like 500 miles.

Dec. 20: A restless feeling all day made worse by the knowledge that the full moon and Winter Solstice was just around the corner.

Dec. 21: Eighty-four degrees on the Winter Solstice. Thomas started peeing on the bathroom mat. Took him to the vet to be tested for feline diabetes, thyroid, kidney, liver problems. Really scared.

Thomas O’Malley, lover of all women and warm laundry
Dec. 22: During the morning I cried over my poor kitty. We’ve been together since shortly after Maggie and Joanna left home and he has always been more than just a pet. I don’t think I could bear it if I lost my father and Thomas at Christmas. During the afternoon, Thomas’ blood tests came back with good results. However, he does have a slightly elevated white blood count which would indicate a kidney or bladder infection.

Dec. 23: Last night, Thomas began passing urine with blood. It confirmed my strong feelings that something really is wrong with him. We took him back to the vet where he got an antibiotic shot and a pain reliever. It’s just a bladder infection. Whew!

The best thing about yesterday is that it was our one-week wedding anniversary.

Dec. 24: Christmas Eve and I have so much to be thankful for (see below). A new marriage, a healthy family including five grandchildren (one of them due in February) and more happiness than I ever thought I would have.
Maggie and Joanna
Sue, me, Susan - approx. 1990
Colburn, my sweetie and new husband

Comments

Susan said…
"new husband" - I like that.
Kim said…
Christi, I've been a little behind on blog reading, and had no idea about your Dad or Thomas. I'm so glad Thomas's issue was treatable and he's better. Thinking about you and what you're going through with your father.

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Cornell’s Boxes

Boxes by surrealist artist Joseph Cornell
“Shadow boxes become poetic theaters or settings wherein are metamorphosed the element of a childhood pastime.”
Joseph Cornell was not a sculptor, a draftsman, or a painter. This internationally renowned modern artist never had professional training. He was first and foremost a collector. He loved to scour old book shops and secondhand stores of New York looking for souvenirs, theatrical memorabilia, old prints and photographs, music scores, and French literature. 


Cornell was wary of strangers. This led him to isolate himself and become a self-taught artist. Although he expressed attraction to unattainable women like Lauren Bacall, his shyness made romantic relationships almost impossible. In later life his bashfulness verged toward reclusiveness, and he rarely left the state of New York. However, he preferred talking with women, and often made their husbands wait in the next room when he discussed business with them. He also had numerous friend…

How to Clean Copper After Annealing with a Recipe for Non-Toxic Pickling

This is not your grandmother’s pickling recipe. I’m pickling copper bangle bracelets instead. As you can see by the previous post, I’ve been annealing copper bracelets this week (my first time was Sunday evening). To give you a point of reference, these bangles were dark brown, almost black, when I put them in the pickling solution.

Today I used a recipe for a non-toxic pickle to clean the oxidation from the copper. It was simple: 1 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon table salt. I heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a glass jar and then put it on my husband’s coffee cup warmer. To test it I stuck a piece of annealed 6 gauge wire in it, and it worked beautifully. I only had to brush a little of the black stuff off, and it was bright, shiny copper again. Better yet, the brushing didn’t take a lot of effort.

Feeling very successful I doubled the batch and dropped all six bangles in and left them for about 15 minutes. When I came back the black was flaking off nicely and floating…

Eulogy for a Difficult Mother - what I wish I’d said at my mother’s funeral

I fell in love with my Mother for the first time on the night she died. It was May 20 of this year. Less than two months ago.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t love her before. I believe that all children love their mothers, but all mothers don’t necessarily love their children. My mother was a loving woman, but my sadness is that she loved her husbands more than she loved her children. In spite of that I always loved her. Every day of my life.

Mother had a difficult time living with bipolar disorder in a time when the only treatment was hospitalization and useless counseling, and the medications for it were toxic. It wasn’t until the last decade of her life that everything came together for her, and she was able to live well and with some peace.

On the evening before she died her husband called to say she had not awakened that morning but she was still breathing. Her doctor told us two or three years ago that she would not suffer with renal failure and that she would gradually lose energy,…