Skip to main content

Nkisi - Medicine Pouch

How about a medicine pouch made from a tea infuser? I bet you have an infuser in your kitchen drawer. When I saw this idea in Robert Dancik’s book Talismans and Amulets, I thought it looked like great fun to make. Not to mention easy. Luckily Colburn doesn’t mind (I hope) when I cannibalize things around the house to use for jewelry making.

The nkisi or medicine pouch originates in the Congo Basin in Central Africa and was often used for healing and success in hunting, trade and sex. (Source: Wikipedia)

First, we heated the screen of the infuser with our new little Bernzomatic torch which gave it a pretty, multicolored patina. Then I filled it with beads, an acorn and other little tokens that had special meaning to me. I also used my metal letter stamps to put my wish (prayer) on some scrap copper.

As a woman who was born and raised a Christian I’m fully aware that this amulet has no power within itself. I use it to remind me — when I see it hanging in my jewelry room — to say a quick prayer. Just like a sticky note reminds me about my errands for the day.

As Dancik says, “Minkisi (plural form) can be used for protection when we travel into our future or to guard against a specific fear or threat. Seen as exotic by some, they are actually very close to many objects used in western religious observations, such as crucifix or rosary beads.”



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Cornell’s Boxes

Boxes by surrealist artist Joseph Cornell
“Shadow boxes become poetic theaters or settings wherein are metamorphosed the element of a childhood pastime.”
Joseph Cornell was not a sculptor, a draftsman, or a painter. This internationally renowned modern artist never had professional training. He was first and foremost a collector. He loved to scour old book shops and secondhand stores of New York looking for souvenirs, theatrical memorabilia, old prints and photographs, music scores, and French literature. 


Cornell was wary of strangers. This led him to isolate himself and become a self-taught artist. Although he expressed attraction to unattainable women like Lauren Bacall, his shyness made romantic relationships almost impossible. In later life his bashfulness verged toward reclusiveness, and he rarely left the state of New York. However, he preferred talking with women, and often made their husbands wait in the next room when he discussed business with them. He also had numerous friend…

How to Clean Copper After Annealing with a Recipe for Non-Toxic Pickling

This is not your grandmother’s pickling recipe. I’m pickling copper bangle bracelets instead. As you can see by the previous post, I’ve been annealing copper bracelets this week (my first time was Sunday evening). To give you a point of reference, these bangles were dark brown, almost black, when I put them in the pickling solution.

Today I used a recipe for a non-toxic pickle to clean the oxidation from the copper. It was simple: 1 cup white vinegar and 1 tablespoon table salt. I heated it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a glass jar and then put it on my husband’s coffee cup warmer. To test it I stuck a piece of annealed 6 gauge wire in it, and it worked beautifully. I only had to brush a little of the black stuff off, and it was bright, shiny copper again. Better yet, the brushing didn’t take a lot of effort.

Feeling very successful I doubled the batch and dropped all six bangles in and left them for about 15 minutes. When I came back the black was flaking off nicely and floating…

Eulogy for a Difficult Mother - what I wish I’d said at my mother’s funeral

I fell in love with my Mother for the first time on the night she died. It was May 20 of this year. Less than two months ago.

That doesn’t mean I didn’t love her before. I believe that all children love their mothers, but all mothers don’t necessarily love their children. My mother was a loving woman, but my sadness is that she loved her husbands more than she loved her children. In spite of that I always loved her. Every day of my life.

Mother had a difficult time living with bipolar disorder in a time when the only treatment was hospitalization and useless counseling, and the medications for it were toxic. It wasn’t until the last decade of her life that everything came together for her, and she was able to live well and with some peace.

On the evening before she died her husband called to say she had not awakened that morning but she was still breathing. Her doctor told us two or three years ago that she would not suffer with renal failure and that she would gradually lose energy,…